This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and motivated fundraiser to play a pivotal role in the growth of an international NGO working in the field of education. The Queen Rania Foundation (QRF) identifies gaps and opportunities for developing new education programs, with the aim of influencing policy and creating educational change on the ground.
About the department
The Strategic Partnerships Team is responsible for raising funds for the Queen Rania Foundation from businesses, individuals and foundations locally, regionally and internationally. The team is also responsible for coordinating the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a small group of Jordanian donors who support the charities affiliated to the Queen Rania Foundation.
About the position
QRF is seeking a dedicated and capable fundraiser with a proven track record in raising funds in the international development or education fields. The Deputy Director of Strategic Partnerships will be responsible for developing and delivering on the overall fundraising strategy of the organization. This will include supplementing existing grant funding with a diverse range of sustainable funding streams and unrestricted funding from individuals, corporates, grant-makers and other sources. The role will require working in close collaboration with the Director of Strategic Partnerships and where appropriate, other members of the senior leadership team.
Post and Salary
This post is full-time and permanent. The salary will be commensurate with experience.
The post is based in Amman, Jordan, and may include some overseas travel to liaise with partners and donors in the region and to the London, UK office. Relevant travel expenses will also be covered by QRF.
Lines of reporting
The Deputy Director of Strategic Partnerships reports to the Director of Strategic Partnerships. They will work closely with the Deputy CEO, CEO, CEO (UK), Director of Communications and Director of Research and Program Development. They will also provide reports to the Senior Management Team, Board and the Fundraising Committee on progress against strategic fundraising targets.
The Deputy Director of Strategic Partnerships will have line management responsibility for the Strategic Partnerships Associate Manager; Strategic Partnerships Officer and the Strategic Partnerships Manager (Operations).
The role will include the following core responsibilities:
- Work with the Director of Strategic Partnerships to develop and deliver a comprehensive and coherent fundraising strategy for the organization.
- To focus on fundraising from the region.
- Set and achieve realistic time-limited fundraising targets, agreed in consultation with key staff.
- Create a sustainable and diverse fundraising portfolio, with funding streams including individuals, major gifts, corporates, community, events, trusts/foundations, and other grant-makers, with appropriate priorities.
- Support the development of funding proposals to international funders such as DFID or USAID in collaboration with the Director of Strategic Partnerships.
- Manage the grant application process and ensuring that reporting is tracked and meets donors' expectations
- Oversee the delivery of prospect research and development of a comprehensive fundraising database that captures all relevant information, as well as handling all administrative aspects of fundraising.
Communications and media
- Develop standardized fundraising and publicity materials for awareness-raising and fundraising.
- Where necessary, deliver and pitch for fundraising priorities.
- Liaise with the Communications Team to ensure the website and related social media is updated.
- Contribute to the regular CEO e-newsletter to share with supporters, partners and funders.
- Continually seek new and appropriate contacts and partnerships with relevant individuals or organizations.
- Support the foundation’s wider advocacy work with key partners, government ministries, funders, and international agencies.
- Uphold and promote the ethos and philosophy of the charity.
Strategic and governance
- Play a crucial role in shaping the future direction and growth of the foundation, through input into board meetings and the organizational strategic plan.
- Take ownership of organizational growth and funding, reporting to the Board on progress against fundraising targets at Board meetings.
Financial oversight and reporting
- Manage their own budget and ensure that targets are met
- Record, monitor, and report financial progress
- Lead communication with key donors and funders with the aim of cultivating, growing and sustaining long-term funding and collaboration.
- Ensure reporting to funders is accurate, transparent and timely.
- Liaise with the Head of Finance to ensure the organization’s cash flow and financial sustainability through careful budgeting, realistic fundraising targets and coordinating timely access to funds from supporters.
- Liaise with the Finance Team to ensure donations are distributed to our affiliations in a timely manner and affiliation reporting is collected and collated.
- Work with the Finance Team to ensure the collection, recognition, and distribution of donations through the website.
- Work with the Head of Finance and Deputy CEO to ensure overseas donations are authorized and reported on to the Ministry of Social Development.
- Develop a deep understanding of education issues generally and specifically those affecting Jordan and the Middle East.
- Manage information and record the communication, profile and fundraising activity of donors on a database
- Demonstrate commitment to the QRF values of openness, ownership, impact, collaboration, excellence, and service.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate these values and philosophy effectively to donors, funders, supporters, and partners.
- Commitment to personal professional development as well as developing the skills and experience of team members.
Experience and Qualifications
Candidates for this role would be expected to possess the following experience and qualifications:
- A strong track record of securing funding for charitable or NGO activities from a variety of funding streams, preferably in the education field (required)
- A minimum of five years’ experience in fundraising, but prior experience in areas such as sales or marketing will be considered (required).
- Educated to degree level (required).
- Demonstrable experience of managing and growing a team (required).
- An understanding of the education field and national and regional education issues (preferred).
In all aspects of this role the following personal qualities are essential:
- Excellent planning, time management, and organizational abilities.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently to agreed goals and targets and take ownership of the overall fundraising programme of the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills in both Arabic and English.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a small close-knit team.
- Adept at people management and building long-term relationships.
- Creativity, resilience, and flexibility.
- Sensitivity to differences in culture and nationality with the ability to work closely with colleagues from across the world with a range of professional backgrounds.
- Adaptable and flexible to changing circumstances and needs of the role, including flexibility in working hours to ensure coordination with colleagues in different locations and time zones.
- Able to work under pressure, meeting key project and reporting deadlines.
- Commitment to confidentiality.
- Willingness to travel within the Middle East and to Europe, where necessary (20% of the time).